Synthetic Interpretations are Dangerous to My Mental Health

Synthetic Interpretations are Dangerous to My Mental Health

Postby bobbymac » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:22 pm

I have a number of tools which I know work. What I know they can do is offer a chance to see where something was unseen before. Cycle of three. Draw and ask. Slow down or speed up what I'm doing. One I came up with today was "Name things in this room".

How does it work? I try to picture first and name things around me. Then I compare what I could see and what I couldn't.

In theory it should stop there. It should only tell me exactly those two things. But in practice it is an exercise which defines a hole. And whenever I define a hole something happens.

The past few days I have been pondering synthetic interpretations. Guesses about myself and what's going on while I'm internally blind. The way it first hit me was I noticed something the other day, that I couldn't picture my guitar pick. Then noticed what I normally do with that. I wonder what being blind to that might have done to me. How that could have affected me over the years. Yes, this is something I have consistently done whenever I discover a blind spot.

Already in theory it sounds bad. I can't see it yet I place it in stories and hypothesis all in the name of "understanding".

So now I knew I was doing this. And whenever I discovered a blind area or revisited a blind area I would catch myself. Making synthetic interpretations. Then I would stop. Only problem is I am using will-power. And it became a bit exhausting.

Back to the tools. Which one? Name the things in this room. I took this straight to the biggest blind area I have, my bedroom. Or waking up. Or starting my day. Whatever you want to call it. The shock I experience when I crawl out of bed. Really, all synthetic interpretations. Bullshit. Why? Because I can picture almost nothing.

What can I see? A venetian blind, a glass of water, a thermostat, a closet door. That's about it. Lying there trying to picture things a scene emerged from my childhood of a toy airplane that I hooked up to hang from the light fixture in my room. The plane swung round and round with a little propeller powered by battery. Next thing is the plane came crashing down when the string broke.

Next came the metaphor. I am driving down a highway. There is snow covering the entire car. I have only summer tires and winter is in full force. From the inside I have my hands on the steering wheel. I feel terrified. I cannot see where I'm going. I can guess where I'm going yet I'm sure sooner or later I will hit a ditch or a tree. This is obvious to me. I am in physical danger.

This is a picture-story of synthetic interpretations. The highway is my mind racing. The snow covering is my internal blindness. The summer tires means I have little control. My hands on the steering wheel and guesses which way to turn are the synthetic interpretations.

That's when it hit me, synthetic interpretations are dangerous to my mental health.

What does it mean? When I apply it to a blind area in my life, I realize I have to go really slow! My sense of where I'm going and where I'm coming from is nearly all guess. Any judgements about I'm going through could easily lead me in a ditch of symptoms.

Only thing I can think of right now is getting out of the car and wiping some of that damn snow off.

Bobby
bobbymac

Re: Synthetic Interpretations are Dangerous to My Mental Hea

Postby bobbymac » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:49 pm

Oh, and speaking of synthetic interpretations, I really needed to share this.

http://susanquinn.net/blog/eliminate-bl ... 011/04/18/
bobbymac

Postby stevent10993 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:02 am

Bobby, I hope you see the irony here. While your first post is terrific, the link in your second post contains many synthetic interpretations. This includes the opening statement that beliefs are "blocks." In the dictionary sense, I suppose these beliefs could be seen in this way. But at the level of individual lives, these beliefs are simply layer 2 reductionism meant to point the finger of blame. In other words, they're synthetic interpretations.

The belief that "we are not good enough to have the relationship we want or that we are not lovable enough to have someone of our choosing to love us." The idea that "we are compelled to choose people who will bring us pain rather than pleasure." To begin with, both these ideas synthetically interpret wounds through the eyes of one wise man; the rationalist. Do people think or feel these things? Of course, they do. But mistaking symptoms for wounds is the greatest error therapists make today.

Contrast and compare the first idea; that you're not lovable, with the idea that you once got startled when someone who loved you did not love you. After which, you no longer could picture being loved. And because you can't change what you can't see, eventually, you come to accept this belief. Not because this is the problem but rather because this describes what you can see.

Or consider the complementary opposite to the second idea; that because the people we choose cause us pain, that we choose the right people. Here again, both statements are synthetic interpretations. In truth, without the pain of relationships, we'd all likely fall into complacency. So rather than 'choosing" the wrong people, we by nature feel most connected to those who can show us where to heal.

As for your realizations about synthetic interpretations, Bobby, once again, you are amazing.
stevent10993
Site Admin

Postby bobbymac » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:09 pm

Sorry if it wasn't obvious, I intended that link to be humorous! My reaction reading about negative beliefs now causes a quick 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 trip.

To think before I discovered your website this is some of the stuff I'd give an afternoon to.
bobbymac

Postby stevent10993 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:52 am

My bad, Bobby. I should have realized you'd be the last person to see that stuff as valid. :D
stevent10993
Site Admin

Return to Reading Book II: Unraveling Human Nature